Saturday, January 14, 2012

Not What I Expected

I remember when I was in the second grade my family decided to move. We had picked out a new house in a new city, it was only fifteen minutes away but when you're eight that's a world away. I was so excited, until reality set in. I can remember distinctly sitting on my mom's bed in the old house bawling because I didn't want to leave. She reminded me that I had voted to move, but that was little consolation at that point. I didn't want to leave the familiar.

Of course my parents had already sold the house (in one day!) and bought another. We moved into the new house and started going to school at a new school. At first I hated it. I couldn't make friends at my new school and it was way harder academically than my old one. All of my neighbors were old. At my previous house I had friends on either side of me. (On a completely unrelated note, they were really my fiances. Yes, both of them.)

With time I adjusted to the change. I made some awesome friends and the new house became my home. I even learned (somewhat) to keep up academically at my new school.

You see, I'm just not someone who likes change. Usually I like the idea of it, but the actual occurrence? No way. I like stability. Unfortunately I think sometimes that places me in a rut because even if something stinks it's familiar and stable.

But I don't want my life to pass me by just so I can have familiarity. I want my life to have excitement and passion. With the new year came resolutions to find both of those things. Resolutions are great. I must think so given that I have twelve of them. I also wanted to think of three words that describe what I'm looking for in 2012. I finally found them: progress, love, and faith.

Do you have any resolutions? Are you afraid of change like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment