Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

I love cooking. I love the smell of garlic, red (cooking) wine, onions and such. I came to love cooking in an odd way. My mom hates cooking and when I was younger I was sooo tired of tuna fish casserole and boxed meals, so I decided to learn how to cook. I started out fairly young. My mom helped me out with the basics and my grandmother stepped in with some help as well. I still love cooking with my grandmother. I was also raised in a healthy family. You know, the kind that thinks excercising is fun and white bread tastes funny. Eating well is a certain part of living well. I'm not saying you have to eat whole wheat everything, but I know I feel better when I eat healthy foods. With that being said, let me share my first recipe with you. In this recipe I tried to watch the sodium and add a lot of vegetables.

2 tbs. olive oil
1 tbs. butter
1 lb. chicken
1 link sausage
1 tsp Slap Ya Mama*
1 small yellow onion, diced

1/2 large bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, reduced sodium or no sodium added
2 tbs. white cooking wine
1 pack 12 oz. okra

1/2 c vegetable broth
1 c. cooked rice

Cut the chicken into chunks, whatever size you prefer. I like them about one inch. Rub the Slap Ya Mama onto the chicken.
Cook the chicken until thoroughly done in about 2 tbs olive oil.
Pour the chicken and its juices onto a plate and set aside.
Melt 1tbs butter and cook the onions, bell pepper and garlic until the onions are translucent.
Add the white wine and cook for a minute or two.
Then add the the diced tomatoes followed by the okra and vegetable broth. Let them simmer for about five minutes.
Finally, add the chicken and sausage. Simmer for ten more minutes.
When you are ready to eat, serve the gumbo over a warm rice. I prefer brown rice that takes longer to cook, it has a more earthy flavor.

*Note Slap Ya Mama may not be available in all areas. It has salt, red pepper, black pepper and garlic salt in it. It's the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment